Forlorn.of.thee (fa'lo:n ŭv thē), p, my only strength and stay,forlorn of thee, whither shall I betake me, where subsist?
Paradise Lost by John Milton
.

Monday, December 29, 2014

BIG Stuff in Canberra

Spent the Christmas break in Canberra, our capital. Quiet place, population less than a tenth of Sydney.

Oddly, I loved it.

The Boxing Day sales weren’t that crowded, didn’t have to fight for a pair of size nine Florsheims at Myer. The roads empty, one could drive on the right and not hit anyone coming from the opposite direction.

Obligatory tourist spots included the Parliament House. It felt...vast. No doubt, built to impress visiting dignitaries.


Later stood under the mist of the jet fountain in Lake Burley Griffin. That fountain too was BIG.

On the way, stopped at Goulburn and stared at the BIG Merino sheep, that whet my expectation for BIG things…

Canberra in that respect did not disappoint.















 ________ ☼ _______

Other touristy attractions..

 National Museum of Australia

 Australian War Memorial

2 comments:

Lisax2 said...

BIG Merino sheep I love it!!! So cool

Lilly said...

I used to live in Canberra for a long time. It is like a big country town but very cosmopolitan. It gets bashed a lot because of the politicians and no night life. I never came across anyone in politics in years there. It is a great place to raise a family or indeed retire. It is cold though. Great pics and they bought back memories.