Forlorn.of.thee (fa'lo:n ŭv thē), p, my only strength and stay,forlorn of thee, whither shall I betake me, where subsist?
Paradise Lost by John Milton
.

Monday, March 10, 2008

Insomnia Part II

Dedicated to the in insomniacs in my life...

Was in the Chinese supermarket over the weekend, had a natter with the old owner. He was espousing the wonders of gǒuqǐ . Excellent for the eyes and great for those sleepless nights due to menopause I was told, and add to that it’s less than $2 a packet.

What on earth is gǒuqǐ. Ah, looked at the shelves and found out it is called Lycium Barbarum or Wolfberry. Looks a lot like grains or red rice. One merely has to stick the dried Wolfberry in a cup, pour in hot water and let it stand for a couple of hours, pulp the berry and drink. The owner swears by it. Tried it over the weekend, doesn’t taste that bad, but no x-ray vision yet.

It just occurred to me gǒuqǐ = goji, the drink the health food stores are selling for $50 a litre, and here is a cheap alternative.

No comments: